At the City of Sydney, we uphold our status as Australia’s first carbon-neutral council by planning Sydney New Year’s Eve in a way that shows our commitment to creating a more sustainable Sydney. This is achieved by:
- Buying carbon credits to offset emissions from the event;
- Recycling approximately 90 per cent of all rubbish collected (about 10 per cent is non-recyclable waste);
- Using recycled water to clean the streets;
- Re-using props and scenic elements;
- Encouraging everyone to take public transport or walk to events and leave the car at home; and
- Measuring the impact of Sydney New Year’s Eve.
You can help keep Sydney clean on the biggest night of the year. Did you know that the City’s Cleansing and Waste team will clean up around 58,000 kgs of rubbish in 24 hours. And 90% of this is recycled!
This New Year’s Eve, Jack’s back. And he’s called in the Cleansing Squad. Watch the video to meet the garbos and see the trucks behind this massive clean up. Bin your rubbish on the night.