On the water
With many spectators taking to the harbour to enjoy Sydney New Year’s Eve, a number of boating restrictions will be in place. Some recommended vantage points are also below.
An exclusion zone from Cockatoo Island to Clarke Island will be in place on New Year’s Eve. No unauthorised traffic will be allowed inside the zone. It will be marked by yellow-lit buoys.
A 6 knot minimum wash speed limit applies from 3pm on New Year’s Eve until 2am on New Year’s Day.
Safety messages will be broadcast on marine radio band 27.88 and VHF channels 17 and 13.
In an emergency, call 000 (triple zero).
More details will be provided as soon as they’re available.
Wharf and foreshore access
- Around many wharves, roads are closed, no glass is permitted and alcohol-free zones apply.
- Vessels will be able to access Taronga Zoo wharf to pick up and drop passengers. They must keep out of the way of ferries and obey authorised officers and security.
- No foreshore access between Taronga Zoo ferry wharf and Taylors Bay around Bradleys Head National Park.
- No foreshore access to Pirrama Park at Pyrmont.
- Eastern Pontoon and Man O’War Jetty close before midday.
- Commissioners and Harbourmasters Steps close from the late afternoon.
- Land access to Jeffery Street wharf at Kirribilli will close from 8am on New Year’s Eve.
Points to remember
- Move into position well before sunset as popular spots fill up quickly.
- Vessels over 15m are not permitted to anchor in Farm Cove.
- No anchoring in shipping channels before midday New Year’s Eve, or after 6am New Year’s Day.
Recommended vantage points
- North-west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Clarkes Point, Greenwich Ferry Jetty, Manns Point, Balls Head, Berrys Bay, Lavender Bay.
- South-west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Mort Bay, Ballast Point, Snails Bay.
- North-east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Neutral Bay, Shell Cove, Mosman Bay, Athol Bay.
- South-east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Farm Cove, Woolloomooloo Bay, Rushcutters Bay, Double Bay, Rose Bay.
Visit Roads and Maritime Services for more boating information.