On the water
With many spectators taking to the harbour to enjoy Sydney New Year’s Eve, a number of boating restrictions will be in place. Some recommended vantage points are also below.
An exclusion zone from Cockatoo Island to Clarke Island will be in place. No unauthorised traffic will be allowed inside the zone. A speed limit will also be in force. Check the Roads & Maritime Services site for more information.
When the exclusion zone is lifted, it will be announced on marine frequency VHF 17 and projected on to the Sydney Harbour Bridge pylons.
Only vessels less than 15 metres in length may use Farm Cove.
If you need to move your vessel due to an emergency, call triple 0 (000).
Points to remember
- Move into position well before sunset as popular spots fill up quickly.
- Anchor well away from the exclusion zone buoys.
- Allow small craft to anchor along the exclusion zone boundary.
Recommended vantage points
- North-west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Clarkes Point, Manns Point, Balls Head, Berrys Bay, Lavender Bay
- South-west of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Mort Bay, Ballast Point
- North-east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Neutral Bay, Shell Cove, Mosman Bay, Athol Bay
- South-east of the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Farm Cove, Woolloomooloo, Rushcutters Bay, Double Bay, Rose Bay