With so many parking restrictions and major roads closed, you can’t drive to vantage points or see the fireworks from your car. Leave your car at home.
Major roads closed:
- 11am Cahill Expressway Circular Quay overpass.
- 2pm roads north of Bridge Street in The Rocks and Circular Quay.
- 7pm major roads north of Liverpool Street.
- 8.30pm to 9.30pm and 11.30pm to 1.30am Anzac Bridge and Western Distributor citybound.
- 11pm all roads closed north of Goulburn Street.
- 11pm to 1.30am Sydney Harbour Bridge.
For up-to-the-minute information on road closures, visit Live Traffic NSW.
Public transport is your best option to and from the celebrations.
You can also browse through the full list of road closures.
Car parks and street parking
No vehicles will be able to exit any car parks in the city until police reopen all roads. The road you drove on may be closed after you’ve left your vehicle.
NSW Police will continue to prioritise public safety. Cars driving on closed roads will be stopped and penalties will apply.
Special event clearways will be in place on most roads in the city, Pyrmont and North Sydney. Clearways will be in place between 2am on New Year’s Eve and 4am on New Year’s Day.
Browse through the full list of clearways.
Cycleways and walkways
Sydney Harbour Bridge cycleways and walkways close from 6pm to 1am southbound and 6pm to 2am northbound.
Western Distributor cycleways close from 4pm to 12.30am between Murray and Pyrmont streets to Cockle Bay Wharf.
Cahill Expressway Circular Quay overpass cycleways close from 11am to 4am.
View the full list of road closures.