Watching the fireworks
Heading to Sydney Harbour?
Broadcast: TV, Radio, Online
Tune-in to the LIVE broadcast on ABC1, News24 and the Australia Network
2013 Sydney New Year’s Eve live from Sydney Harbour. A four hour program hosted from the forecourt of the Sydney Opera House, featuring the 9PM Family Fireworks and the Midnight Fireworks. The program will feature some of ABC Television’s best loved personalities, along with a year in review, live crosses around the harbour and Australia, as well as live musical performances.
2DayFM Official Radio Broadcaster
Wherever you are, make sure you tune your radio to 104.1 2DayFM to enjoy the exclusive synchronised music soundtrack at 9pm and midnight, as well as live broadcasts throughout the night from around Sydney Harbour.
Telstra’s 2013 Sydney New Year’s Eve YouTube Show – Live!
Can’t make it to Sydney Harbour for New Year’s Eve? we’ve got your covered. We’ll be live streaming all the fun &fireworks on our exclusive New year’s Eve Telstra YouTube show.
Hosted by Merrick Watts, with special guests, Empire Of The Sun performing live, it’s going to be a huge night of celebration. Watch the lead up for New Year’s Eve from December 16th and tune into the live show from 8:30pm on December 31st.
Tune in to Telstra T-Box channel 919 to watch the Fireworks live from 8.30pm AEDST Tuesday 31 December
Essential planning information
Many parts of the city and suburbs will be closed to traffic on Sydney New Year’s Eve, so the best way to travel is by public transport. Work out the best transport options for you on the Public Transport page.
Be prepared and celebrate safely
- NO BYO (bring your own) alcohol restrictions apply to many vantage point sites. There are alcohol-free zones in place in a number of areas across the city on Sydney New Year’s Eve. Use our Vantage Point Map to find out which areas have restrictions.
- Look out for your mates. Plan a meeting place in case you get separated on the night as mobile phone networks can be congested.
- For families with children, discreetly write your mobile phone number on your child’s arm so you can be contacted if your child becomes lost.
What to bring and what to leave at home
- Sydney New Year’s Eve is a NO GLASS event. Glass bottles and containers are not permitted and bag checks are a condition of entry to all managed access sites. Use recycled or reusable containers instead.
- Pack your own food in recyclable or reusable plastic containers. Non-alcoholic drinks, including water, must be in sealed plastic containers. Many sites will also have food and drinks for sale.
- Use sunscreen and wear a hat as December daytime temperatures in Sydney are often above 30 degrees.
- Bring clothing appropriate for cooler weather later in the evening.
- Wear comfortable shoes – you will need to walk to and from vantage points and public transport terminals.
- Bring your radio and tune in to 104.1 2Day FM for the 9PM Family Fireworks and Midnight Fireworks’ soundtracks.
If you are riding a bike, please:
- Obey the road rules.
- Be aware and considerate of others.
- Don’t drink and ride. It is an offence to ride under the influence.
- Wear a helmet and reflective clothing.