All aboard for NYE
Your best bet for travelling to the celebrations.
Public transport is the go for New Year’s Eve. With thousands of extra services on the night, catching a bus, train, ferry or light rail is a no-brainer.
Very large crowds are expected, so if you’re travelling into the city, make a plan and arrive early.
You’ll need to purchase an Opal card to board your service. This travel smartcard has replaced paper tickets. Visit Transport Info for details.
More public transport details will be provided as soon as they’re available.
6 top tips for public transport on New Year’s Eve
- Bus stops will change
- Circular Quay services may begin and end at Martin Place. Temporary bus stops will be in place throughout the city.
- There will be extra services on the night
- Extra trains and buses will run to make sure you arrive at your destination with ease.
- Circular Quay station will operate a little differently
- Trains will not stop at Circular Quay from early evening. All other city circle train stations will be open. You can walk to the harbour foreshore from Wynyard, St James or Martin Place.
- Ferries won’t run during the fireworks
- Some routes will stop operating from late afternoon. Ferries are a very popular option. Have a back-up plan and consider taking the train or bus.
- Travelling home later is a good option
- Stay out past your bedtime and have a smoother journey home? Win. Leaving a little later will help you avoid the crowds, but make sure you plan your journey.
- Get real-time info on social media and the app store
- Follow Transport Info on Facebook or Twitter for up-to-the-minute information on the night, and stay connected with a real-time transport app.