You're viewing the 2015 website. Sign up for our updates and be the first to know when we're ready for 2016.
All aboard for NYE
Your best bet for travelling to the celebrations.
Public transport is the go for New Year’s Eve. With more than 4500 extra services on the night, catching a bus, train or ferry is a no-brainer.
Crowds are expected, so if you’re travelling into the city, make a plan and arrive early.
6 top tips for public transport on New Year’s Eve
Here you’ll find the basic info to help you plan, but make sure you visit Transport Info for the most up-to-date advice.
- Bus stops will change
- From 2pm to 6pm, Circular Quay services begin and end at Martin Place. From 6pm, temporary bus stops will be in place throughout the city. Check out Transport Info for more about bus changes.
- There will be more than 4500 extra services on the night
- Extra trains and buses will run to make sure you arrive at your destination with ease. Check Transport Info to plan your journey.
- Circular Quay station will operate a little differently
- Trains will not stop at Circular Quay between 6pm and 1am. You can walk to the harbour foreshore from Wynyard, St James or Martin Place.
- Ferries won’t run during the fireworks
- Ferries will run until 8pm. However, some routes will stop running as early as 5.39pm. Visit Transport Info for more information. After the midnight fireworks, extra ferries will run, but a train or a bus is always your best bet.
- Travelling home later is a good option
- Stay out past your bedtime and have a smoother journey home? Win. Leaving a little later will help you avoid the crowd, but make sure you plan your journey at Transport Info.
- Get real-time info on social media and the app store
- Follow Transport Info on Facebook or Twitter for up-to-the-minute information on the night, and stay connected with a real-time transport app.
More about trains
- Extra services run between the city and North Sydney from 2pm.
- You’ll only be able to enter Milsons Point station from Ennis Road, off Broughton Street, after the fireworks.
More about buses
- While the Harbour Bridge is closed between 11pm to 1am, all buses to Wynyard, the QVB and Railway Square will stop at North Sydney.
- Bus routes will change for busy areas outside the city. Transport Info will have more information.
- The Sunday timetable will be in place on New Year’s Day.
More about ferries
From Circular Quay, the first services after the midnight fireworks:
- F1 Manly: 12.40am.
- F3 Parramatta River: 1.05am.
- F5 Neutral Bay: 12.55am.
- F6 Mosman Bay: 1am.