The Sydney Opera House is a popular vantage point for Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks. As large crowds are expected, a dedicated accessible viewing area is available at the Opera House for registered guests.
- Accessible toilets
- Changing Places bathroom
- Access to electrical charging for mobility devices
- Security and first aid onsite
- Food and drink available onsite
- No seating. Small fold-up chairs permitted if back support is required
- No shade. Wear a hat and protective clothing
- No sunshades. Personal umbrellas (no more than 125cm in diameter) permitted
- No BYO alcohol
- Moderate gradients to the site. Steep incline on Macquarie Street.
- Entry for accessible patrons is at the corner of Macquarie and Albert Streets any time from 5pm onwards
- The designated accessible viewing area is 600 metres downhill on Macquarie Street.
This accessible viewing area is fully booked.
Public transport is the best way to get around on New Year’s Eve. Driving is not recommended. Macquarie Street will be closed to traffic from 10am on 31 December until 4am on New Year’s Day.
There will be no access to the Sydney Opera House Wilson Carpark during the road closure.
Circular Quay station is 260 metres from the Macquarie Street gate. Trains will not stop at Circular Quay after 5pm on 31 December. The station will reopen at 1am on 1 January.
For those who require mobility assistance, an accessible buggy transport service will be provided between the Sydney Opera House site and a vehicle pick-up and drop-off location at the intersection of Macquarie Street and Bent Street from 5pm on 31 December, and post-event from 1am.
View the access map for travel from St James and Martin Place to east Circular Quay and Sydney Opera House. For up-to-date citywide transport information, visit transportnsw.info
Let’s Stay Safe Together
Covid-19 vaccination requirements.
Please be aware we may need to make changes to reflect the latest public health updates or best practice.
If you have any further questions, please call 02 9250 7777 or email email@example.com